Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Illinois » Saline County

Saline County

 

Saline County is named for Saline Creek as the making of salt from the Salines was a major part of the industry of the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hamilton County

E – Gallatin County

S – Pope County

W – Johnson County and Williamson County

 

Map of Illinois highlighting Saline County

Created:  February 25, 1847                                                     

County Seat:

Raleigh      1847 – 1859

Harrisburg  1859 – present

 

County Courthouse – Harrisburg

 

Location: 10 East Poplar Street / North Main Street

Built:  1967 – 1969

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Clark Altay and Associates

Contractor:  Haege Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Harrisburg. On the east and west sides large windows are along the first story divided by a wide horizontal concrete band from the windows on the second story. The wide white colored band continues along the flat roof line. The north and south entrances have a wide horizontal concrete band above the entrance with window above. In the interior is a large center atrium rising to the top of the second story. The two County Circuit Court courtroom are located at each corner of the north side. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 1st Judicial Circuit.

 

See:  The 1st Judicial Circuit includes Alexander County, Jackson County, Johnson County, Massac CountyPope CountyPulaski CountyUnion County and Williamson County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1847 and Raleigh was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a frame structure built in 1848. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1854. The county seat was moved to Harrisburg in 1857 and the third courthouse was designed by J K Kirk & Company and built in 1859 to 1861. The fourth courthouse was designed by John D Gaddes and constructed by Ford & King in 1905. The building was razed for the fifth and present courthouse constructed in 1967 to 1869.

 

 

County Courthouse – Harrisburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2024

Images 11