Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Indiana » Brown County

Brown County

Brown County is named for Jacob Brown, who was a general and a hero of the War of 1812.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Morgan County and Johnson County

E – Bartholomew County

S – Jackson County and Monroe County

W – Monroe County

 

Created:  February 4, 1836                                                        Map of Indiana highlighting Brown County

County Seat: 

Jacksonburg  1836

Nashville        1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Nashville

 

Location:  20 East Main Street / Van Buren Street

Built:  1874 – 1875

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  McCormack & Sweeney of Columbus

Contractor:  McCormack & Sweeney.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure.  The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Nashville. The building has a door on the first and second stories with a duel metal staircase. Above the front of the building is a square white colored cupola. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 21st Judicial District. To the north is the Old Log Jail built in 1879.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Brown County Courthouse Square

 

See:  The 21st Judicial District includes Bartholomew CountyDecatur CountyJackson County and Jennings County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Jacksonburg was selected as the  county seat. The name of the county seat was changed to Nashville the same year. The first courthouse was a log structure built by David Weddle in 1837. For $700. The second courthouse was constructed in 1853 to 1854. The courthouse was damage by fire in 1873. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1874 to 1875 at a cost of $7,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Nashville

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008