Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Indiana » Hendricks County

Hendricks County

Hendricks County is named for William Hendricks, who was the Governor of Indiana when the county was formed.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Boone County

E – Marion County

S – Morgan County

W – Putnam County and Montgomery County

 

Created:  December 20, 1823                                                    Map of Indiana highlighting Hendricks County

County Seat: 

Danville  1824 – present

 

County Courthouse – Danville  

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / West Main Street

Built:  1912 – 1914

Style:  Classical Renaissance

Architect:  Clarence Martindale of Indianapolis

Contractor:  P H McCormack of Columbus

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Danville.  The building is constructed with Indiana limestone. The center section on each side has a portico with arched entrance and two arched windows on the first story and two large columns rising from a balcony on the second story, to the top of the third story with pediment on top. In the interior the center has a large rotunda with stained glass skylight. Other elements include woodwork, wall stencils, brass accents and faux finishes. The Circuit Court courtroom has a large mural commemorating George Rogers Clark’s 1779 Liberation of Vincennes, painted by Edgar Alvin Payne. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County Superior Court of the 16th Judicial District. The building was restored in 2004.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Danville Courthouse Square Historic District

 

See:  The 16th Judicial District includes Morgan County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1823 and Danville was selected as the county seat in 1824. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1826 at a cost of $147. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1830. The third courthouse was a brick and limestone structure designed by Isaac Hodgson and constructed in 1862 at a cost of $60,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1914 at a cost of $186,400.

 

 

County Courthouse – Danville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008