Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Kentucky » Gallatin County

Gallatin County

Gallatin County is named for Albert Gallatin, who was the United States Secretary of the Treasury from 1801 to 1810.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Switzerland County, Indiana and Boone County

E – Boone County

S – Grant County and Owen County

W – Carroll County

 

Created:  December 14, 1798                Map of Kentucky highlighting Gallatin County

County Seat: 

Carrollton      1798 – 1810

Port William   1810 – 1837

Warsaw          1837 – present

 

County Courthouse – Warsaw

 

Location:  100 West Main Street / Main Cross Street

Built:  1837 – 1838

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Winter & Carr

Contractor:  Winter & Carr

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Warsaw. The portico has six large square white colored columns. The entrance is enclosed and extends into the area under the portico, and has a small balcony on top, with window on the second story. The coutrooms are located on the first and second stories. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County District Court of the 54th Judicial District.  An addition was added in 1868 to 1870. The building was remodeled in 1909. In 1938 to 1940, a portico was added to the southeast front. The contractor was Clarence McDanell. Renovations in 2007 and 2008, added an addition to the northwest side of the building. The architect was Louis & Henry Group and the contractor was Klenco Construction. On the northwest side is the Clerk’s Office housed in a two story wood frame building.

 

See:  The 54th Judicial Circuit includes Boone County and Galatin County.

 

History  :  The county was created in 1798 and the county seat was Carrollton now county seat of Carroll County. The first court met at the home of Richard Masterson in 1799. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1799 to 1800. In 1810, the county seat was moved to Port William and a brick structure was built as the second courthouse. In 1837, the county seat was moved to Warsaw and the third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $7,815.

 

 

County Courthouse – Warsaw

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Courthouse under construction 2007

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Clerk’s Office

Photos taken 2007 and 2018