Allegany County is named for the Native American word “Oolikhanna” meaning “beautiful stream”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Somerset County, Pennsylvania, Bedford County, Pennsylvania and Fulton County, Pennsylvania
E – Washington County and Morgan County, West Virginia
S – Hampshire County, West Virginia and Mineral County, West Virginia
W – Garrett County
Created: December 25, 1789 ![]()
County Seat:
Cumberland 1789 – present
County Courthouse – Cumberland
Location: 30 Washington Street / Prospect Square
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Wright Butler of Cumberland
Contractor: Garber Brothers
Description: The building faces north and is a four story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cumberland. The north front has an arched stone entrance on the first story. The center section projects slightly from the main building and rises from the entrance to a peak above the roof line. On the northeast corner is a high square red colored brick tower with turrets and steep pointed roof at the top. The roof is hipped. Horizontal stone belts run across the building. On the southeast and southwest corner are low two story sections.
Note: The cornerstone for the third courthouse was laid on October 5, 1893. The architect Wright Butler based his design for this public building on the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style. The massing and detail of the courthouse are typical of this late 19th-century style, developed from the works of architect Henry Hobson Richardson.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Washington Street Historic District
See: The 4th Judicial Circuit includes Garrett County and Washington County.
District Courthouse – Cumberland
Location: 123 South Liberty Street / West Harrison Street
Built: Unknown
Style: Modern
Architect: Unknown
Contractor: Unknown
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cumberland to the east of the courthouse. The entrance is recessed with concrete columns and concrete wall rising above the flat roof line. The building houses the District Court of the 12th District.
History: The county was created in 1789 and Cumberland was designated as the county seat. The court first met in the home of John Graham and in a Green Street tavern owned by Abraham Faw. The first courthouse was built in 1798 to 1799 at a cost of $3,062. In 1806, the building was renovated for the Clerk of Court and Registrar of Wills at a cost of $1,200. The second courthouse was built in 1841 at a cost of $5,000. In 1860’s, the courthouse was enlarged and improved at a cost of $75,000. The courthouse was destroy by fire on January 5, 1893. The third and present courthouse was constructed from 1893 to 1894 at a cost of $97,000. The court moved to the City Hall and Academy of Music building during construction.
County Courthouse – Cumbeerland
Photos taken 2012
