Prince George’s County is named for Prince George of Denmark, who was the husband of Queen Anne I of Great Britain.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Montgomery County and Howard County
E – Anne Arundel County and Calvert County
S – Charles County
W – Fairfax County, Virginia, Alexandria, Virginia and Washington D.C.
Created: October 3, 1695 ![]()
County Seat:
Charles Town 1696 – 1721
Upper Marlboro 1721 – present
Old County Courthouse – Upper Marlboro
Location: 14735 Main Street / Water Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank Davis
Contractor: William A Jarboe
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Upper Marlboro. The building has three wings. The north front has a portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with black colored dome. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1908 and designed by B F Smith. An addition was constructed in 1940, designed by Upman & Adam and constructed by Joseph Light Construction Company. An addition was constructed in 1947 and an addition was constructed in 1960. The architect was John M Walton and Denis W Madden and contractor was John Tester & Company. In 1991 the west wing or Marbury Wing was designed by HKO and constructed by Croakley Williams Construction adding nine courtrooms for the County Circuit Court. On the east side, the Bourne Wing was constructed in 1991 to house the County District Court.
County Courthouse – Upper Marlboro
Location: 14735 Main Street / Water Street
Built: 1991 – 1993
Style: Modern
Architect: Helmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
Contractor: Turner Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south center section projects from the main building rising three stories with a semi-circular recessed section rising to the roof line. The windows are horizontal. The building is along the south side of the old courthouse.
See: The 7th Judicial Circuit includes Calvert County, Charles County and Saint Mary’s County.
History: The county was created in 1695 and Charles Town was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1695. In 1721, the county seat was moved to Upper Marlboro. The second courthouse was built in 1721. Repairs were made in 1735. The third courthouse was built in 1801 which became the foundation of the current Duval wing. Additions were made in 1820, 1840 and 1852. In 1881 a Victorian façade was constructed. In 1895 the east and west wings were constructed. The building was remodeled in 1940. Further additions were added in 1949, 1957 and 1969.to 1971. In 19991 to 1993 the fourth courthouse was constructed.
County building in Hyattsville.
In 2003, construction began on an extension of the Marbury wing, and renovation of the Duval wing. That renovation combusted on November 4, 2004, when temporary lighting in the attic ignited a 4-alarm fire. The following year, the Marbury expansion opened with nine additional courtrooms and expanded space for the Family Division and other administrative functions of the court. The Prince George’s Arts Council commissioned and installed artworks incorporating copper from the original roof of the Duval wing, lost in the fire.
Because the fire destroyed much of the interior of the Duval wing, the building required a complete renovation, integrating the components of 200 years of additions into a cohesive building. The renovated and rehabilitated Duval wing was dedicated in 2009. The copper cupola that formerly topped the Duval wing, but damaged beyond repair in the fire, now sits on the lawn in front of the Duval wing as a permanent artwork and reminder of the building’s lost history.
Old County Courthouse – Upper Marlboro
County Courthouse – Upper Marlboro
Photos taken 2013
