Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Massachusetts » Berkshire County » Berkshire County – Great Barrington

Berkshire County – Great Barrington

Courthouse – Great Barrington

 

Location:  9 Gilmore Street / Anderson Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Schoolhouse

Architect:  Cooper and Bailey

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a central entrance on the first story framed by white colored columns with two narrow vertical windows on the second story. At the top is a pediment with small fanlight. The roof is hipped. The building was formerly the Judge Justin Dewey Elementary School and is now The James P Dohoney Memorial Courthouse housing the District Court.

 

Old Courthouse – Great Barrington

 

 

Location:  334 Main Street / Castle Street

Built:  1875 – 1876

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  E L Roberts

Contractor:  J N Bartram and George Turner

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The east front has a one story portico with six narrow white colored columns rising to a balcony on the second story. At the roof line is a pediment. The hipped roof has pediments on the north and south sides. The building serves as the Town Hall and used to house the court until it moved to the present courthouse.

 

Note:  During construction, J N Bartram was the masonry contractor and George Turner was the carpenter. The Town Hall is the same design as the Town Hall in Milford, Connecticut which was also built in 1875 and designed by the same architect, E L Roberts. The first courthouse was built in 1764. The next courthouse was the Town Hall built in 1875. 

 

See:  The Berkshire County courthouse is located in Pittsfield.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2017