Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Michigan » Alcona County

Alcona County

 

Alcona County is named for the Native American word meaning “a fine or excellent plain”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Alpena County

E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Canada

S – Iosco County

W – Oscoda County

 

Created:  April 1, 1840                            Map of Michigan highlighting Alcona County

County Seat:

Harrisville  1868 – present

 

County Courthouse – Harrisville

 

Location:  106 North 5th Street / West Main Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti

Contractor:  The Davidson-Rose Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Harrisville. The building sits on a slope with the first story exposed on the east side. The west side has a central entrance with concrete canopy on the second story. The roof line is flat. In the interior, there is an entrance lobby. The courtroom is located on the second story and is modest with high windows. The walls are painted cinder blocks, the ceiling is paneled and the floor is tile. The judge’s bench is a simple wooden structure. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 23rd Judicial District, County District Court and County Probate Court. The building is named as the Alcona County Building.

 

See:  The architect,  Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses  in Allegan CountyArenac County, Charlevoix County and Washlenaw County, and with Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti in Huron County.

 

County Administration Building – Harrisville

 

 

Location:  214 West Main Street / North 6th Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti

Contractor:  The Davidson-Rose Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Harrisville on the west side of the courthouse. A wing extends west from the main north-south section of the building. The entrance has an over hang supported by concrete supports. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Sheriff’s Office. 

 

See:  The 23rd Judicial District includes Arenac County, Iosco County and Oscoda County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1864 and Harrisville was selected as the county seat in 1868 when the county was organized. The county was previously attached to Cheboygan County, Alpena County and Iosco County. The first courthouse was a two story brick constructed by Joseph Van Buskirk and H G Rothwell in 1869 to 1870 at a cost of $6,000. The building burned on Friday, November 13, 1953. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1955 to 1956.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

 

County Courthouse – Harrisville

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008