Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Michigan » Washtenaw County » Washtenaw County – Chelsea

Washtenaw County – Chelsea

District Courthouse – Chelsea

 

Location:  122 South Main Street / South Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  French Renaissance

Architect:  Claire Allen

Contractor:  Frank P Glazier.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story trapezoidal buff colored rock faced fieldstone and concrete structure. The east front has a central entrance with two Ionic columns rising to an entablature containing large modillions and a cornice above at the roof line. Along the south side are vertical fieldstone pilasters. The building is trimmed with limestone. The hipped roof is red colored terra cotta title. On the west side is a small modern addition. The building is named as the George P Glazier Memorial Building and houses the 14A–3 District Court.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $60,000 as the Chelsea Savings Bank founded by George P Glazier. The building became the courthouse in 2013.

 

 

See:  The Washtenaw County courthouse is located in Ann Harbor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2015