Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Minnesota » Stevens County

Stevens County

Stevens County is named after Isaac Ingalls Stevens, who directed the surveys for the construction of a Pacific railroad and was Governor of the Washington Territory 1853-1857, delegate to Congress 1857-1861 and general in the Civil War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grant County

E – Pope County

S – Swift County and Big Stone County

W – Big Stone County and Traverse County

 

Created:  February 20, 1862                  Map of Minnesota highlighting Stevens County

County Seat:

Morris  1862 – present

 

County Courthouse – Morris

 

Location:  400  Colorado Avenue / East 5th Street

Built:  2010 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Klein McCarthy Architects of Minneapolis

Contractor:  Contegnity Construction Management of Little Falls

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story red-orange colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Morris. The building is a remodel of the old courthouse with an addition on the east side. The center section projects from the main building and has a glass front. On the east side is a length of glass wall with brick section at the east end. The building is set in the side of a slope and there is section on the north. In the interior there is a high entrance lobby on the south side with a wide wood paneled lobby on the north side where stairs ascend to the second story. Along the west side of the second story are the two County District Court courtrooms. The building houses the County District Court of the 8th Judicial District. Along the north side is the County Jail.

 

Old County Courthouse ( demolished ) – Morris 

 

 

Location:  400  Colorado Avenue / East 5th Street

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Foss and Company of Fargo, North Dakota

Contractor:  Larson Construction Company.

 

Description:  The building faced southwest and was a two story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Morris. The building was a low horizontal structure and was 225 feet by 65 feet. The building had a wide blue-green metal panel separating the two floors and a line of ribbed canopy shadowing a row of upper windows. The building was extended by a 40 feet by 60 foot wing on the north side. There was a flat roof, curtain wall of glass and metal and a brick faced concrete frame. The building was demolished in 2010 and replaced on the same site by the current courthouse.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Big Stone CountyChippewa CountyGrant County, Kandiyohi CountyLac Qui Parle CountyMeeker County, Pope CountyRenville County, Swift CountyTraverse County, Wilkin County and Yellow Medicine County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1862 and Morris was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story wood structure built in Morris in 1872. The second courthouse designed by E P Basford of St Paul and built by A Whittemore of Montevideo in 1884. The third courthouse was constructed in 1957 to 1958 at a cost of $383,168. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2010 to 2011.

 

 

County Courthouse – Morris

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court small courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse ( demoloished ) – Morris 

 

 

Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2023