Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Mississippi » Lowndes County

Lowndes County

Lowndes County is named for William James Lowndes, who was a South Carolina Congressman.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Monroe County

E – Lamar County, Alabama and Pickens County, Alabama

S – Noxubee County

W – Oktibbaha County and Clay County

 

Created:  January 30, 1830                                                        Map of Mississippi highlighting Lowndes County

County Seat: 

Columbus  1830 – present

 

County Courthouse – Columbus 

 

Location:  595 North 2nd Avenue  / North 5th Street

Built:  1847 – 1848

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  James S Lull

Contractor:  James S Lull

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Columbus. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a high pediment with fanlight at the roof line. On the southwest corner is a five story square brick tower with large arched window on the first story and an octagonal shape on the fifth story. Above is the clock and a lantern at the top. On the southeast corner is a two story addition with five columns along the south side rising to the overhang of the flat roof. The roof is gabled. In the interior, the County circuit Court courtrooms are located on the first and second stories with the main courtroom located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 16th Judicial District, County Chancery Court, County Court and County Youth Court. The building was remodeled in 1903. The architect was R H Hunt & Company and the contractor was D S McClanahan. The building was remodeled in 1974 to 1976. The architect was William I Rosamond & Associates and Virden-Roberson & Harrison Ltd. and the contractor was Harry C Terrell Construction Company.

 

County Justice Court – Columbus 

 

 

Location:  309 Main Street / 4 Avenue South

Built:  2010 – 2012

Style:  Modern

Architect:  JBHM Architects ( Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel )

Contractor:  Conn Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southeast of the center of Columbus.. The west front has a portico with pediment at the roof line and supported by six columns at the entrance towards the south along the front. The roof is hipped.  The building houses the County Justice Court.

 

See:  The 16th Judicial District includes Clay CountyNoxubee County and Oktibbaha County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1830 and Columbus was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1847 to 1848.

 

 

County Courthouse – Columbus

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Court – Columbus

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration Building – Columbus

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2017