Old County Courthouse / City Hall – Perth Amboy
Location: 260 High Street / Market Street
Built: 1766 – 1767
Style: Victorian
Architect: Unknown
Contractor: Unknown
Description: The building faces north and is a three story white colored brick and wood frame structure. The building is located in the center of Perth Amboy. The building has a mansard roof with dormer windows on the third story. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1826, 1872 and 2006. The building now serves as the City Hall. On the west side is the Surveyor General’s Office, a sandstone and brick Italianate structure built in 1852 to 1854 by the New Jersey Board of Proprietors.
See: National Register of Historic Places – City Hall Perth Amboy
History: The county was created in 1683 and Perth Amboy was selected as the county seat as it was the provincial capital of East Jersey. The first courthouse was built in 1714 to 1717. The building burned in 1731, was rebuilt as the second courthouse in 1745 and burned again in 1765. The third courthouse was built in 1766 to 1787. In 1793, the county seat was moved to New Brunswick.
See: The Middlesex County courthouse is located in New Brunswick.
Old County Courthouse / City Hall – Perth Amboy
Surveyor General’s Office – Perth Amboy
Photos taken 2017
