Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Jersey » Monmouth County

Monmouth County

Monmouth County is named for The Rhode Island Monmouth Society or for the historic county of Monmouth in Wales.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Middlesex County and Atlantic Ocean

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Ocean County

W – Burlington County and Mercer County 


Created:  March 1 1683                                                              Map of New Jersey highlighting Monmouth County

County Seat:

Perth Amoy 1683 – 1708

Freehold      1708 – present


County Courthouse – Freehold  


Location:  71 Monument Street / Court Street

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Morden

Architect:  James W Mancuso Sr of West Long Branch

Contractor:  Contracts awarded to many trades


Description:  The building faces south and is a three story concrete structure. The “U” shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Freehold. The south front has a central portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The windows are large and vertical. The roof line is flat. The west wing was constructed in 1968. In 1980, the east wing was constructed. The architect was Tomaino and Tomaino and the contractor was Gumino Building and Construction Company. In 1981, the interior was renovated. The contractor was Seacoast Builders Corporation.


County Hall of Records – Freehold  



Location:  1 East Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1873 – 1874

Style:  Classical

Architect:  Austin H Patterson

Contractor:  Edward Smith


Description:  The building faces south and is a two story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Freehold to the south of the courthouse. The south front has a one story extended porch. On the roof is a square white colored clock tower.  The roof is hipped. After a fire in 1930, the building was remodeled and expanded in 1931. The architect was Leon Cubberley. The building is now the Hall of Records.


History:  The county was created in 1683 and Perth Amoy in Middlesex County was the provincial seat of East Jersey. In 1708 Freehold was selected as the county seat. The first courts met in private homes. The first courthouse was a wood structure built in 1714. The second courthouse was built in 1719 and burned in 1727. The third courthouse was built in 1730 to 1731. The fourth courthouse was built in 1806 at a cost of $28,000. The fifth courthouse was built in 1855 and burned in October 1873. The sixth courthouse was built in 1873 to 1874 and was damaged by fire in 1930. The building was repaired in 1931 and became the Hall of Records. The seventh courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1955.



County Courthouse – Freehold























Hall of Records ( Old county Courthouse ) – Freehold









Photos taken 2017