Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New York » Westchester County

Westchester County

Westchester County is named for the city of Chester in England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Putnam County

E – Fairfield County, Connecticut

S – Fairfield County, Connecticut, Nassau County and Bronx County

W – Bergen County, New Jersey and Rockland County

 

Created:  November 1, 1683                                                       Image result for westchester county ny map

County Seat:

Bedford Village   1683 – 1757

White Plains        1757 – 1787

Bedford               1787 – 1870 ( Northern Shire )

White Plains        1787 – 1870 ( Southern Shire )

White Plains        1870 – present

 

County Courthouse – White Plains  

 

Location:  111 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard / Quarropas Street

Built:  1968 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Welton Becket & Associates

Contractor:  J R Stevenson Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a nineteen story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on a wide landscaped plaza in the center of White Plains. The east front has three high openings on the first story with recessed entrance. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Richard J Daronco Courthouse. The building houses the County Supreme Court of the 9th Judicial District, County Court and County Family Court. The construction manager was Captain Thomas Dumont. The building was renovated and an annex constructed on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in 2003 to 2005. The architect was Pei Cobb Freed & Partners / Fuller and D’Angelo and the contractor was Ysrael A. Seinuk, P.C of New York and Cosentini Associates LLP of New York.

 

 Note:  In 1968, the County of Westchester entered into a contract with Welton Becket F.A.I.A., to design a new courthouse. This contract was subsequently assigned to and assumed by Welton Becket Associates and Welton Becket Associates. Becket retained Cosentini Associates and Wayman C Wing as consulting engineers, and Cosentini Associates retained Eitingon Schlossberg Associates as its consulting engineer. In 1970, contracts were awarded by the county to three prime contractors. J.R. Stevenson Corporation became the general contractor, Luna Industries., Inc., became the electrical contractor and Martin Mechanical Corporation became the mechanical contractor. J.R. Stevenson Corporation retained Belt Painting Corporation., Cafasso Lathing Plastering Company., Inc., and the joint venture of Giamboi Bros., Inc., and E.M. Fitzsimons Associates, Inc., as subcontractors. 

 

Old County Courthouse – Bedford  

 

Location:  615 Old Post Road / Court Road

Built:  1787 – 1790

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bedford. The north side has a one story porch supported by four white colored pillars. The main entrance is located at the center of the east side. The windows on the first story have green colored shutters. The roof if is hipped with an open white colored cupola. The building was restored in 1889, 1965 and 1970 and now houses a museum.

 

History:  The county was created in 1683 and Bedford Village was selected as the  county seat in 1683. The first courthouse was erected in 1720 and was destroyed by fire in 1758. The county seat then moved to White Plains in 1757. The second courthouse was designed by R G Hatfield and built by Theodore Hunt in 1857 to 1759 at South Broadway and Mitchell Place in White Plains. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1775. In 1787, the county was divided into the Northern Shire at Bedford and the Southern Shire at White Plains. The third courthouse was built in Bedford in 1787 and is still standing. The fourth courthouse was built in White Plains in 1787. The fifth courthouse was built in 1855 at Main Street and Court Street in White Plains and included a jail and county offices. In 1870, White Plains became the only county seat. The sixth courthouse was built in 1909 and called the “Supreme Court Building”. The seventh courthouse was a six story structure designed by Benjamin W Morris and constructed by John T Brady & Company in 1915 to 1917. The building was razed in 1977. The eighth and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 to 1974 at a cost of $33,000,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – White Plains

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Statue of Richard J Daronco

 

 

Photos taken 2014