Alexander County is named for William J Alexander, who was a member of the legislature and Speaker of the North Carolina House of Commons.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Wilkes County
E – Iredell County
S – Catawba County
W – McDowell County
Created: January 15, 1847 ![]()
County Seat:
James’s Cross Roads 1847
Taylorsville 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Taylorsville
Location: 29 West Main Avenue / Center Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Style: Modern
Architect: James Biggs
Contractor: Herman Sipe and Company Inc. of Conover
Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Taylorsville. The east front has a central recessed entrance. There are vertical recessed windows on the second story and narrow horizontal windows along the top of the first story. The roof line is flat with a raised section on the center of the roof. The courtroom occupies most of the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 22 Judicial District.
See: The 22nd Judicial District includes Davidson County, Davie County and Iredell County.
History: The county was created in 1847 and James’s Cross Roads was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Taylorville in 1847 and the first courthouse, a wood structure was built in 1848. The second courthouse was a two story structure with courtroom on the second story designed and constructed by B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company in 1902. The courthouse burned on August 11, 1967. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 to 1970.
County Courthouse – Taylorsville
Bell from 1902 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012
Images 10
