Skip to content
Home » US States » N » North Carolina » Johnston County

Johnston County

Johnston County is named for Gabriel Johnston, who was a Governor of colonial North Carolina.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wake CountyFranklin County and Nash County

E – Wilson County and Wayne County

S – Wayne County and Sampson County

W – Harnett County and Wake County

 

Created:  June 28, 1746                         Map of North Carolina highlighting Johnston County

County Seat: 

Smithfield  1746 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Smithfield  

 

Location:  207 East Johnston Street / South 2nd Street

Built:  1920 – 1921

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Harry Barton of Greensboro

Contractor:  Joe W Stout Company Inc. of Sanford

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Smithfield. The north front has a large porch with four columns rising to a header. There is recessed entrance a large vertical windows on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the main courtroom is located on the third story and has a balcony on the rear side. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 11th Judicial District. 

 

County Courthouse – Smithfield  

 

 

Location:  207 East Johnston Street / South 2nd Street

Built:  1986 – 1988

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Grier-Fripp-Associates, Inc.

Contractor:  R N Rouse & Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Smithfield.  The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the old courthouse by an atrium at the north end. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 11th Judicial District.

 

See:  The 11th Judicial District includes Harnett County and Lee County.

 

Note:  During the Civil War, General William T Sherman used the 1771 courthouse as his headquarters on his march toward Raleigh. On April 12th 1865 Sherman received a telegram from General Ulysses S Grant informing him of General Robert E Lee’s surrender at Appomattox while in Smithfield.

 

History:  The county was created in 1746 and Clayton was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1747 in Clayton. In 1754, King George repealed the county and later the county was recreated in 1756. The county seat was moved to Smithfield in 1771 and the second courthouse was built in the same year. The third courthouse was built in 1786 and the fourth courthouse was built in 1843. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1920 to 1921 and is still standing. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1986 to 1988.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Smithfield

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Smithfield

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012