Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oregon » Crook County

Crook County

Crook County is named for George Crook, who was a United States Army officer who served in the American Civil War and the Indian Wars.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jefferson County and Wheeler County

E – Grant County and Harney County

S – Deschutes County

W – Deschutes County

 

Created:  October 24, 1882                    Map of Oregon highlighting Crook County

County Seat: 

Prineville 1884 – present

 

County Courthouse – Prineville

 

Location:  300 NE 3rd Street / SE Court Street

Built:  1908 – 1909

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Walter D Pugh of Salem

Contractor:  John B Shipp.

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a two story native blue-gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Prineville. The building is built of basalt quarried from a site located just west of the Ochoco Viewpoint, a mile to the west. The north front has a porch located at the center supported by four white colored columns and with a balcony on the second story. Above is a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored cupola with clock at the top. In the interior, there are wooden stairs and on the floor, a map of the county. The building houses the County Circuit of the 22nd Judicial District. The architect was Walter D Pugh of Salem and the contractor was John B Shipp. The building was remodeled in 1941. In 1989 to 1990 repairs were completed after a wind storm. On the north side of the building is the County Courthouse Annex.

 

Note:  The courthouse contract was awarded to Wright and McNeely for the stone foundation and superstructure. The old courthouse, completed in 1884, was moved off site to become a school annex. After building the aboveground basement and three flights of stairs, the builders defaulted, and a new contract was awarded to John B Shipp for $57,000.

 

See:  The 22nd Judicial District includes Jefferson County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1882 and Prineville was selected as the county seat in 1884. The first courthouse was a one story wooden structure at West 5th Street and Main Street built in 1884. In 1885, the second courthouse was a two story wood structure built at a cost of $5,474. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1908 to 1910 at a cost of $80,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Prineville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Prineville

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2016