Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Adams County

Adams County

Adams County is named for John Adams, who was the second President of the United States of America.

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Cumberland County

E – York County

S – Carroll County, Maryland

W – Franklin County

 

Created:  January 22, 1800                    Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Adams County

County Seat:

Gettysburg  1800 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Gettysburg

 

Location:  111  Baltimore Street / West Middle Street

Built:  1858 – 1859

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Stephen Decatur Button of Philadelphia

Contractor:  John R Turner of Carlisle. 

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Gettysburg. The building is a mixture of styles, a flat Federal front under a classical pediment and rather unusual tower. A large clock tower extends approximately twenty-seven feet above the roof, and approximately seventy feet above ground level. The tower is topped by a hooded roof with decorative trim above. Brackets and projecting eaves characterized the roof trim of the clock tower. There is extensive decorative bracketing under the eaves. The protruding section at the rear of the building was added in 1906 giving the building a “T” shape. For the addition, the archirect was Hammee & Leber and the contractor was Merville E Stallsmuth.. The old courthouse is connected on the south side though the 1906 addition to the courthouse to the south. The buildings are also connected by an open walkway. The architect was Stephen Decatur Button of Philadelphia and the contractor was John R Turner of Carlisle. The building was restored in 1963.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Adams County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Gettysburg

 

 

Location:  117  Baltimore Street / West Middle Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Rodgers and Frederick and Clifton E Rodger and Associates

Contractor:  Lambert and Intreri Inc.

 

Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the south side of the old courthouse. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – Civil and Criminal of the 51st Judicial District and County Orphan’s Court. The building is connected to the 1906 wing of the old courthouse. The buildings are also connected by an open walkway.

 

History:  The county was created in 1800 and Gettysburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1804 on Lincoln Square. The second courthouse was constructed in 1858 to 1859 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1977 to 1979.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Gettysburg 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Gettysburg 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011 and 2015