Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Lackawanna County

Lackawanna County

Lackawanna County is named for the Lackawanna River which flows through the county and comes from a Lenni Lenape word meaning “stream that forks”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Susquehanna County

E – Wayne County 

S – Monroe County

W – Luzerne County and Wyoming County

 

Created:  August 21, 1878                      Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Lackawanna County

County Seat:

Scranton  1878 – present

 

County Courthouse – Scranton  

 

Location:  321 Spruce Street / Washington Street

Built:  1882 – 1884

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Isaac G Perry of Binghampton, New York

Contractor:  John Snaith of Ithaca, New York.

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a three story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Scranton. The building is constructed with West Mountain stone and Onondga limestone. There is a large projected square tower at the southwest corner and two smaller projected turret towers on the northeast side. The square tower is very decorative with grillwork and raised and recessed stonework. These towers are repeated at the rear facing Adams Street, but in smaller scale. Three elaborate, almost furniture-like, gables topped with finials decorate the complex roof line. Each gable defines a distinctive facade. The right facade has three massive two-story windows, the middle facade over the entrance has three windows that differ in design on each level, and the left facade built into the turret has smaller similar windows on each level. On the Linden Street side, is a squat, rectangular 1974 annex faced with stone and connected by a covered hallway. The roof is hipped. The interior has two courtrooms and a former law library on the second story. The former Superior Courtroom ( now Courtroom No. 3 ) retains a number of classically-inspired architectural details that were present during its period of significance. Details include an ornately coffered ceiling, wood paneled doors with ornately-carved round arched wood surrounds containing pediments and pilasters, brass wall sconces, and a decorative, tri-part wall panel behind a seven-person judges’ bench. The metal wall panel is framed by wood pilasters with wood panels below and features bas-relief carvings of blind justice and caduceuses. The courtroom measures approximately forty by fifty feet and also features marble pilasters with painted Ionic capitals, low marble wainscoting, carved wood window surrounds with pilasters and round arch fanlights infilled with fabric, and historic brass and opaque glass chandeliers. Walls are covered with modern wallpaper and the floors with wall-to-wall carpeting. In 1896 B Taylor Lacey of Scranton designed and constructed the third story. The tower was remodeled in 1929. The building was renovated in 2007 to 2008. The architect was Highland Associates and the contractor was Pace Construction Managers, Inc. The project supervisor was L R Constanzo Company, Inc.

 

History:  The county was created in 1878 and Scranton was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1884.

 

 

County Courthouse – Scranton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

John Mitchell Monument 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2015