Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Monroe County

Monroe County

Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lackawanna CountyWayne County and Pike County 

E – Pike County and Warren County, New Jersey

S – Northampton County

W – Carbon County and Luzerne County

 

Created:  April 1,1836                            Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Monroe County

County Seat:

Stroudsburg  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Stroudsburg  

 

Location:  North 7th Street / Monroe Street

Built:  1889 – 1890

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Truman I Lacey

Contractor:  R S Shiffer and Sons

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stroudsburg. The exterior is made of coursed ashlar sandstone from a quarry near Scranton. The south front has a square stone tower with arched entrance on the first story and rising to arched windows on the third story with steep roof above. The second story windows are arched. The roof is sloped. The interior has tall doors with transoms, seven foot wide stairwells with wrought iron railings and black and white mosaic marble floors. On the second story is the courtroom which is the full width of the building and two stories in height, containing a balcony. An addition was added on the north side in 1933 to 1934. The architect was H T Rinker and M R Kiefer and the contractor was Works Projects Administration. The supervisor was A L Rake. On the east side is a modern four story County Courthouse Annex.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Monroe County Courthouse

 

New County Courthouse – Stroudsburg  

 

Location:  North 7th Street / Monroe Street

Built:  2021 – 2023

Style:  Modern

Architect:  CGL Architects of New York

Contractor:  William H Lane Inc. of Binghamton, New York

 

Description:  The building is presently in the planning stage. The cost woulbe $70,000,000 / $80,000,000. The site is the east side of the old courthouse.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Stroudsburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1836. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1889 to 1890.

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Stroudsburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Stroudsburg

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011