Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Jersey » Warren County

Warren County

Warren County is named for Joseph Warren, who was a general killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill during the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sussex County

E – Morris County and Hunterdon County

S – Bucks County, Pennsylvania and Northampton County, Pennsylvania

W – Northampton County, Pennsylvania, Monroe County, Pennsylvania and Pike County, Pennsylvania

 

Created:  November 20, 1824                                                    Map of New Jersey highlighting Warren County

County Seat:

Belvidere  1824 – present

 

County Courthouse – Belvidere  

 

Location:  413 Second Street / Mansfield Street

Built:  1825 – 1826

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Garrett D Wall

Contractor:  L H Lewis

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Belvidere. The center section rises above the east and west wings and has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola with steep roof. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the original court room retains its appearance. The building was completely renovated in 1953. The architect was Louis Hajdu of Alpha. An addition was constructed in 1961. The building was renovated in 2009 to 2012. The architect was Ray O’Brien Architects, Inc. of Blairstow. In 2016 exterior work was done by Jupiter Enviromental Services Inc.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Belvidere Historic District

 

History:  The county was created in 1825 and Belvidere was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was built in 1825 to 1826 at a cost of $10,000.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Belvidere  

 

 

Location:  115 Hardwick Street / Second Street

Built:  1867

Style:  Victorian Italianate

Architect:  Daniel Kleinhaus

Contractor:  Daniel Kleinhaus

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story brown colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Belvidere on the east side of the courthouse. The west front has a projecting white colored porch with recessed central entrance. The second story windows have molded hoods above. The roof is hipped with overhanging eaves with bracket cornice. On the north side is a two story addition. The building is known as the Blair Estate as the building was sold to Dewitt Clinton Blair in 1867. In 1927, the Presbyterian synod purchased the property. The building later was a public library. In 2015, the county acquired possession and the building was renovated the architect was SSP Architectural Group of Bridgewater and the contractor was Coopersmith Brothers Inc. of Phillipsburg

 

 

County Courthouse – Belvidere

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Belvidere

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2017