Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Pike County

Pike County

Pike County is named for Zebulon M Pike, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War and who discovered Pikes Peak 1n 1806.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sullivan County, New York and Orange County, New York

E – Sussex County, New Jersey and Warren County, New Jersey

S – Monroe County

W – Wayne County

 

Created:  March 26, 1814                       Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Pike County

County Seat:

Milford  1814 – present

 

County Courthouse – Milford  

 

Location:  410 Broad Street / West High Street

Built:  1872 – 1874

Style:  Italianate and Second Empire

Architect:  George Barton

Contractor:  A D Brown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Milford. The southeast front has a projecting center section with two arched entrances on the first story, two high arched windows on the second story and pediment at the roof line. The north and south sections project slightly and have dormers at the roof. On the center of the building is a square white colored cupola. The building has a mansard roof. Two large staircases lead from the first story entrance hall to the courtroom, Judge’s chambers and law library on the second story. An “L” shaped addition was constructed on the west and southwest side in 2016 to 2018. The architect was David Wieboldt of Middletown, New York and McGoey Hauser & Edsall and the contractor was Mar-Paul Construction Inc. of Jessup.

 

Note:  The courthouse contract was let to S S Van Auken and rescinded and let to A D Brown in 1872. The 2018 addition contracts were: Bognet Inc. of Hazelton at $546,789 for plumbing, Troy Mechanical of Moosic at $628,000 for mechanical, and Joyce Electric of Eynon at $800,600 for electrical.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Pike County Courthouse

 

Old County Courthouse – Milford  

 

 

Location:  500 Broad Street / West High Street

Built:  1814 – 1815

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Daniel Dimmick, Jacob Quick and Samuel Anderson

Contractor:  Daniel Dimmick, Jacob Quick and Samuel Anderson

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story gray colored stone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the courthouse in the center of the city. The building is rectangular with a central entrance on the southeast side. On the center of the roof is a square cupola. The roof is hipped.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse in Pennsylvania. The oldest courthouse built in 1724 is located in Delaware County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1814 and Milford was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1814 to 1815 and is still standing. The second courthouse was a small brick structure built by George P Helleri n 1851 and was torn down when the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1872 to 1874 at a cost of $45,000. The cost of the 2016 to 2018 addition was $8,000,000.

 

County Administration – Milford  

 

 

Location:  506 Broad Street / West High Street

Built:  1984 – 1985

Style:  Modern Colonial

Architect:  L Robert Kimball & Associates

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Milford to the north of the courthouse. The southeast front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and three windows on the second story. On the roof is a white colored square cupola. The roof is mansard.

 

 

County Courthouse – Milford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Milford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration – Milford

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014