Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Montour County

Montour County

Montour County is named for Madame Montour, who was a French-Indian woman involved in Native American affairs.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lycoming County

E – Columbia County

S – Northumberland County

W – Northumberland County

 

Created:  May 3, 1850                            Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Montour County

County Seat:

Danville  1850 – present

 

County Courthouse – Danville  

 

Location:  29 Mill Street / West Front Street

Built:  1871 – 1872

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  O’Malley

Contractor:  H F Hawke and B V Vastine.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Danville. The building is a cruciform shape and has long arched windows, brackets under the eaves, quoins along the corners and sits on a small knob. There are pediments on all four sides which project from the central square white colored wood tower which rises to a small cupola with rounded copper roof. The east entrance has three white colored stone arches with a balustrade above. There are blank brick bays on either side of the entrance and a round window at the gable end of the roof. The courtroom is located on the second story. 

 

History:  Danville served as county seat for Columbia County from 1813 to 1845. The first Columbia County courthouse and jail were brick structures built in 1815 to 1816 at a cost of $3,980 on land conveyed by Daniel Montgomery and William Montgomery The county was created in 1850 and Danville was selected as the county seat. The 1816 courthouse was probably used until the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1871 to 1872 at a cost of $55,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Danville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006 and 2015