Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Carolina » Chester County

Chester County

Chester County is named for the city of Chester in Pennsylvania.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – York County

E – Lancaster County

S – Fairfield County

W – Union County

 

Created:  March 2, 1875                         Map of South Carolina highlighting Chester County

County Seat: 

Chester  1785 – present

 

County Courthouse – Chester  

 

Location:  140 Main Street / Pine Street

Built:  1852 – 1853

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Edward Brickell White of Charleston

Contractor:  Edward Brickell White of Charleston

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story gray colored stuccoed brick structure. The building sits on the side of hill on landscaped grounds in the center of Chester. The building has a large porch across the front with five archways along the first story and six large columns on the second story rising to a large pediment at the roof. There is a staircase on the north side. The rear three story wing of the building extends north. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 6th Judicial Circuit. An addition was added in 1896 with the architect being Alfred D Gilchrist, and in 1928, he designed the three story wing and rotunda. The further addition of an elevator was added in 1994. The architect was Frank M Williams. The building was renovated in 1974. The architect was Lafaye Associates, Inc. of Columbia and the contractor was Leitner Construction Company Inc. of Chester. At the rear of the building is the old County Jail.

 

Note:  The architect, Edward Brickell White of Charleston, was influenced by the style developed by Robert Mills.

 

See:  The 6th Judicial Circuit includes Fairfield County and Lancaster County.

 

County Veterans Memorial Building – Chester  

 

 

Location:  154 Main Street / Pine Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure.  The building is located on the north side of the courthouse on landscaped grounds in the center of Chester and contains some county offices.

 

History:  The county was created in 1785 and Chester was selected as the county seat. first court met at the home of John Walker in Lewis in 1785. The first courthouse was built in Chester in 1788. The second, third and fourth courthouses were built in Chester. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1852 to 1853.

 

 

County Courthouse – Chester

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Veterans Memorial Building – Chester

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008 and 2014