Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Carolina » Lexington County

Lexington County

Lexington County is named for the Battle of Lexington during the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Newberry County and Richland County

E – Richland County and Calhoun County

S – Orangeburg County and Aiken County

W – Saluda County

 

Created:  1804                                        Map of South Carolina highlighting Lexington County

County Seat: 

Lexington  1804 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lexington  

 

Location:  139 East Main Street / South Lake Drive

Built:  1939 – 1940

Style:  Modern-Classical

Architect:  John Carroll Johnson and Jesse Walter Wessinger

Contractor:  T E Moore and J R Holcombe of Columbia.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lexington and has a projecting center section faced with white colored limestone with framed doorway in the center. The east and west wings have white stone panels between the first and second story windows. A horizontal decorated stone band runs above the second story windows. The roof line is flat. The interior has green, red, yellow and white colored diamond patterned polished terrazzo floors. The courtroom is located on the second story.  The building was a Public Works Administration project under the supervision of A R Carlisle. The foundation was constructed by The Kohn Construction Company. An addition was constructed in 1970. The architect was Jesse Walter Wessinger and John Drafts Associate Inc. and the contractor was Cannon Construction & Supply Company, Inc.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lexington County Courthouse.

 

County Judicial Center – Lexington  

 

 

Location:  205 East Main Street / South Lake Drive

Built:  2002 – 2005

Style:  Modern

Architect:  F J Clark Incorporated

Contractor:  M B Kahn Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story red and buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lexington and has a projecting glass enclosed entrance. Behind, the building rises to a semi circular roof line. On the north and south are projecting red brick sections with trim above and below the windows. On either sides of these projections are glass walls. The building is named as the Marc H Westbrook Judicial Center.

 

See:  The 11th Judicial Circuit includes Edgefield CountyMcCormick County and Saluda County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1804 and Lexington was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1785 near Cayce. The second courthouse was a wood structure built in 1820 in Lexington. The third courthouse was a granite structure using the design of Robert Mills and built in 1838. The building was destroyed during the Civil War and the fourth courthouse built in 1868 was a log cabin. In 1882 to 1884, a brick structure was constructed as the fifth courthouse. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1939 to 1940 at a cost of $92,400. The Judicial Center was constructed in 2002 to 2005.

 

County Administration – Lexington  

 

 

Location:  212 South Lake Drive / East Main Street

Built:  2004  – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  F J Clark Incorporated

Contractor:  M B Kahn Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a four story red and buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lexington and has a projecting glass enclosed entrance. Behind, the building rises in a semi circular glass section flanked by brick faced sections on either side.

  

 

County Courthouse – Lexington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Judicial Center – Lexington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration – Lexington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008 and 2020