Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Tennessee » Giles County

Giles County

 

Giles County is named for William B Giles, who was a United States Senator and a Governor of Virginia.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Maury County

E – Marshall County and Lincoln County

S – Limestone County, Alabama

W – Lawrence County

 

Created:  November 14, 1809                Map of Tennessee highlighting Giles County

County Seat:  

Richland Creek  1809 – 1811

Pulaski                1811 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pulaski  

 

Location:  1 Public Square / 1st Street & Jefferson Street

Built:  1908 – 1909

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Benjamin N Smith of Montgomery, Alabama

Contractor:  George Moore and Sons of Nashville

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of Pulaski.The east front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large dome with narrow columns and green colored roof. The roof is sloped. In the interior is a central rotunda under the dome with skylight and staircases. The Circuit Court courtroom is located on the north side of the second story and the Chancery Court courtroom is on the south side. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 22nd Judicial District. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Giles County Courthouse Square

 

See:  The 22nd Judicial District includes Lawrence CountyMaury County and Wayne County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1809 and Richland Creek was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Pulaski in 1811 and the first courthouse was a log structure built in 1811. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Archibald Alexander in 1815. The third courthouse was built in 1856 and was soon destroyed by fire. Court was held in the Odd Fellows Hall until the fourth courthouse, a two story brick structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman of Nashville and constructed in 1859 at a cost of $27,000. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on April 20, 1907 and was replaced by the fifth and  present courthouse in 1908 to 1909 at a cost of $135,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Pulaski

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Chancery Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2018

Images 28*