Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Tennessee » Lawrence County

Lawrence County

Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was a United States naval officer.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lewis County and Maury County

E – Giles County

S – Lauderdale County, Alabama

W – Wayne County

 

Created:  October 21, 1817                    Map of Tennessee highlighting Lawrence County

County Seat:  

Lawrenceburg  1817 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lawrenceburg  

 

Location:  240 West Gaines Street / Perry Boulevard

Built:  1973 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Nashville and Jackson

Contractor:  Shepherd Construction Company of Nashville

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lawrenceburg. There are numerous pillars with recessed glass paneled walls. At the southeast corner is a high square clock tower. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 22nd Judicial District. 

 

See:  The architect, Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Nashville and Jackson, designed courthouses in Benton County, Henderson County and Unicoi County.

 

See:  The 22nd Judicial District includes Giles CountyMaury County and Wayne County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1817 and Lawrenceburg was selected as the county seat. The court first met in 1817 at the home of Joseph Farmer near Ethridge. The first courthouse was erected in Lawrenceburg in 1821 and additions added in 1847 and 1850. The second courthouse was designed by Walter Chamberlin & Company and constructed by M T Lewman in 1905. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1973 to 1974.

 

County Administration Building – Lawrenceburg  

 

 

Location:  200 West Gaines Street / Perry Boulevard

Built:  1973 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south and west sides have large porticoes supported by four columns rising to pediments at the roof level. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Lawrence County Administrative Center. Formerly a bank building, the building was renovated in 2008. The architect was Lambert Ezell Durham Architecture – Interior Design and the contractor was Thompson-Fisher, Inc.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lawrenceburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Plaque 1905 County Courthouse

 

 

Plaque 1905 County Courthouse

 

 

County Administration Building – Lawrenceburg

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2018