Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Tennessee » Sullivan County

Sullivan County

Sullivan County is named for John Sullivan, who was Governor of New Hampshire.

 

Surrounding Courthouses: 

N – Scott County, Virginia and Washington County, Virginia and Bristol, Virginia

E – Johnson County and Carter County

S – Carter County and Washington County

W – Hawkins County

 

Created:  October 18, 1779                    Map of Tennessee highlighting Sullivan County

County Seat: 

Blountville  1795 – present

 

County Courthouse – Blountville 

 

Location:  3411 Bristol Highway / Highway 394

Built:  1866 – 1867

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  James Hunt and John Lyle

Contractor:  James Hunt and John Lyle

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Blountville. The east front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a white colored cupola. The courtroom is located on the second story. In 1956, the jail was added onto the west rear side. On the north side is a modern two story red colored brick addition constructed in 1958. The architect was Milton P Robelet and the contractor was Click Construction Company.

 

County Justice Center  – Blountville

 

 

Location:  140 Blountville Bypass / Bristol Highway

Built:  1987 – 1989

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Allen N Dryden

Contractor:  Armstrong Construction Company, Inc

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Blountville to the north of the courthouse. The building has square lines with sections projecting from the main building. The glass paneled entrance is along the east side of the south front. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  With Blountville having been established as the county seat in 1795, the first courthouse was built of massive logs with a jail in the rear. This building was replaced in 1825 by a brick second courthouse and jail. The third courthouse was a rebuild in 1853, and was burned in 1863 by Federal forces during the Civil War. The building was rebuilt within the walls in 1866 as the fourth courthouse. In 1920 to 1921, the building was rebuilt as the fifth courthouse and the architect was T S Brown. The intact bell tower of the 1866 courthouse was placed atop this new building but was removed in the 1970’s. A new jail was built in 1956 , and additions were made in 1958.  In 1988, the jail was moved to the site of the County Justice Center, which was completed in 1989.

 

County Justice Center – Bristol

 

 

Location:  801 Anderson Street / 8th Street

Built:  1961 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Anderson & Gilliam

Contractor:  Trammel Construction Company, Inc. of Bristol, Virginia

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story white colored limestone clad, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Bristol. The center section on the east and west sides are glass panels. The roof line is flat. The building also serves as the City Hall. There are two wings connected by a common atrium. The north wing is the City Hall and the south wing is the Justice Center. The north wing was constructed as the original section in 1960 to 1962. The building expanded in 2002 with the addition of the atrium and south wing housing courtrooms and Sullivan County offices named as the Ralph P Harr Justice Center. The architect was Price-Guthrie-Muse Architecture Engineering and the contractor was Steadman Construction Company pf Kingsport. The north wing containing the City Hall was also renovated in 2002. The architect was Barge, Waggoner, Sumner, and Cannon, Inc. and the contractor was Powell Building Group, Inc.

 

See:  The courthouse in Bristol, Virginia

 

County Justice Center – Kingsport

 

 

Location:  200 Shelby Street / West Market Street

Built:  1986 – 1988

Style:  Modern

Architect:  David Leonard Associates

Contractor:  Armstrong Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Kingsport. The main entrance is located at the east corner with two brick pillars supporting the roof and a recessed concave glass wall rising two stories. A horizontal belt runs below the first story windows. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Justice Center.

 

 

County Courthouse – Bountville 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Center – Blountville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Center – Bristol

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Center – Kingsport

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012, 2013 and 2014