Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Comal County

Comal County

Comal County is named for the Comal River, which is name in Spanish means “basin” or “flat dish”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Blanco County and Hays County

E – Guadalupe County 

S – Bexar County

W – Kendall County 

 

Created:  March 24, 1846                       Map of Texas highlighting Comal County

County Seat: 

New Braunfels  1846 – present

 

County Courthouse – New Braunfels 

 

Location:  100 Main Plaza / North Sequin Avenue

Built:  1897 – 1899

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  James Riely Gordon of San Antonio

Contractor:  Fischer & Lambie of Austin

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Braunfels. The southwest front has a projecting center section rising to a dormer at the roof line. On either side of the center section are semi-circular porches with recessed entrances and balconies on the second and third stories. On the center of the roof is a high square stone tower. In the interior, the halls have arches and the original tile floors. The former County District Court courtroom is located on the second story and is a dusky rose color rising into the third story with a balcony along the rear side.  There is a small courtroom on the first story. An addition was constructed in 1930. The architect was Jerimiah Schmidt and the contractor was A C Moller. Another addition was constructed in 1951. The architect was Jerimiah Schmidt and the contractor was Sippel & Adams. The building was restored in 2011 to 2012. The architect was Volz & Associates and the contractor was RBR Construction.

 

Note:  The courthouse is similar to the courthouse constructed in Lee County as the architect used the same plans.

 

See:  The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas

 

County Courthouse Annex – Judicial – New Braunfels 

 

 

Location:  100 Main Plaza / North Sequin Avenue

Built:  1985 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Christopher Di Stefano & Associates, Inc.

Contractor:  Spaw-Glass Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of New Braunfels on the west side of the courthouse. The building has semi-circular entrances on the south and north corners. Above the entrances are slightly projecting sections rising to a peak. The building has a hipped roof. The building houses the County District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Court at Law of the 3rd Administrative Judicial Region.

 

Note:  The 3rd Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in the Comal County Courthouse Annex in New Braunfels.

 

County Courthouse Landa Annex – New Braunfels

 

 

Location:  199 Main Plaza / East San Antonio Street

Built:  1970’s

Style:  Modern Commercial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story light red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of New Braunfels on the northeast side of the courthouse. The building was original built as the First Federal Savings & Loan and purchased by the county in 2002. The southeast front has six vertical dividers with recessed windows between. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Court at Law. In 2020 to 2021, the building was renovated with the addition of three County District Court courtrooms. The architect was HDR Architects and the contractor was Spaw-Glass Construction, Inc.

 

History:  The county was created in 1846 and New Braunfels was selected as the county seat. The first court was held in the home of Conrad Seabaugh in 1846. District court was held at the German First Protestant Church, but the church council evicted them by April of 1847. The county officials resorted to buying two small buildings for $600 from Theodor Sterzing which were located on South Seguin Street between the Elks Lodge and the home of Dr. Friedrich Frueholz. The records were moved to these buildings on August 1, 1850. The first courthouse was a two story limestone structure built in 1857 to 1859 on the southeast corner of the main plaza at a cost of $9,000. The architect was by William C A Thielepape of San Antonio and the contractor was Ferdinand Simon of New Braunfels. The second courthouse and present was constructed in 1897 to 1899 at a cost of $36,900. The cost of the 1930 addition was $40,636 and the cost of the 1951 addition was $26,750. The County Courthouse Annex was constructed in 1985 to 1986.

 

 

County Courthouse – New Braunfels

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Small Courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Judicial – New Braunfels

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Landa Annex – New Braunfels

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014