Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Blanco County

Blanco County

Blanco County is named for the Spanish word “blanco” meaning “white”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Llano County and Burnet County

E – Travis CountyHays County and Comal County

S – Kendall County

W – Gillespie County

 

Created:  February 12,1858                   Map of Texas highlighting Blanco County

County Seat: 

Blanco            1858 – 1890

Johnson City  1890 – present

 

County Courthouse – Johnson City

 

Location:  101 East Pecan Drive / North Nugent Avenue

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio

Contractor:  James Waterston

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story course buff colored limestone  and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Johnson City. The south front has a projecting center section with four large columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof is red colored tile. On the center of the roof is a tiered square cupola with domed red colored roof. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and Justice Court. An addition was added in 1983.

 

See:  The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas

 

Old County Courthouse – Blanco

 

 

Location:  300 Main Street / 3rd Street

Built:  1885 – 1886

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Frederick Ernst Ruffini

Contractor:  Phil P Cage and C P Boon

.

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story course buff colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Blanco. On the north front, the center section projects slightly and has a stone framed entrance on the first story. The east and west wings are recessed. The windows are arched and the building has a black colored mansard roof. The former courtroom is located on the second story. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1858 and Blanco was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a frame structure built in 1860 at a cost of $600. The building burned in 1876 and the second courthouse was constructed in 1885 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Johnston City in 1890 and the county used rented premises. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1915 to 1916 at a cost of $34,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Johnson City

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Blanco

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009 and 2017