King County is named for William Phillip King, who was killed at the Battle of the Alamo.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Cottle County
E – Knox County
S – Stonewall County
W – Dickens County
Created: August 21, 1876 ![]()
County Seat:
Guthrie 1891 – present
Old County Courthouse – Guthrie
Location: 800 South Baker Street / Main Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: Federal
Architect: Ernest E Churchill of Fort Worth
Contractor: Unknown
Description: The building faces west and s a two story white colored concrete structure. The square shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Guthrie on the north side of the courthouse. The building has a central entrance on the west front with canopy. There are triple windows. In the interior, the former courtroom was located on the west side of the second story. The roof is hipped. The building now serves as a museum.
County Courthouse – Guthrie
Location: 800 South Baker Street / Main Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Style: Modern
Architect: T Renfro
Contractor: Tushia Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds ion the center of Guthrie. The west front has a central entrance with porch. The windows are vertical and the roof line is flat. In the interior is the courtroom. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court.
See: The 9th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in Amarillo in Potter County.
History: The county was created in 1876 and was attached to Bexar County for judicial purposes. Guthrie was selected as the county seat in 1891 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was a two story frame building built in 1891 and was destroyed by a tornado in 1905. The second courthouse was a sandstone structure built in 1905 and which burned in 1914. The third courthouse was built in 1914.
Old County Courthouse – Guthrie
County Courthouse – Guthrie
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2014 and 2019
