Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Lampasas County

Lampasas County

Lampasas County is named for the Lampasas River which in Spanish is the word for “lilies”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Mills County and Hamilton County

E – Coryell County

S – Burnet County

W – San Saba County

 

Created:  February 1, 1856                    Map of Texas highlighting Lampasas County

County Seat: 

Lampasas  1856 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lampasas 

 

Location:  410 East 4th Street / South Liveoak Street

Built:  1882 – 1883

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Wesley Clark Dodson of Waco

Contractor:  Kane Brothers Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story cream colored course limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on Courthouse Square in the center of Lasmpasas. The east front has a center protruding section with arched doorway and two narrow vertical windows on the second story. The windows on the main building are arched with a higher window in the center of three windows. The building has a red colored roof with a red colored central tower. In the interior there are wood floors, wood staircases and high ceilings. The large courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the State District Court and Constitutional County Court. Floods in 1936 and 1957 damaged the building. The building was restored in 2003. The architect was Komatsu Architecture, Inc. of Fort Worth and the contractor was Phoenix I Restoration and Construction, Ltd.

 

See:  The architect,  Wesley Clark Dodson of Waco, also designed the courthouses in  Coryell CountyDenton County, Fannin County, Hill CountyHood County and Parker County.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the third oldest courthouse still in use. The oldest courthouse is located in Cass County (1861) and the second oldest is located in Kendall County (1871).

 

History:  The county was created in 1856 and Lampasas was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a frame structure built in 1856 and burned in 1871. The second courthouse was a frame structure built in 1873. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1884 at a cost of $39,949.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lampasas

 

 

 

 

             

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006 and 2017