Hill County is named for George Washington Hill, who was a secretary of war of the navy under the Republic of Texas, a surgeon and an early settler in the area.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Johnson County
E – Ellis County and Navarro County
S – Limestone County and McLennan County
W – Bosque County
Created: February 7, 1853 ![]()
County Seat:
Hillsboro 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Hillsboro
Location: 81 North Waco Street / Franklin Street
Built: 1889 – 1890
Style: French Second Empire
Architect: Wesley Clark Dodson of Waco
Contractor: Lovell, Miller & Hood of Brownsville
Description: The building faces south and is a three story native limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hillsboro. The south front center section projects from the building with four stone columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story supporting a peaked overhang. The east and west sections extend from the main building and have gray mansard roofs. On the center of the roof rises a square clock tower with mansard roof. In the interior, the first story has cross hallways dividing the floor into quarters. The second story has the large District Court courtroom which extends into the third story with a balcony. The room has long narrow windows. After a fire on January 1, 1993, the building was reconstructed in 1993. The architect was Craig Melde, Larry Irsir and Garry Skotnicki of Arch/Texas of Dallas. and the contractor was Bryan Construction Co. and R I King Construction.
See: The architect, Wesley Clark Dodson of Waco, also designed the courthouses in Coryell County, Denton County, Fannin County, Hood County, Lampasas County and Parker County.
See: The contractor, Tom Lovell of Denton, also constructed courthouses in Brazoria County, Brewster County, Coryell County, Denton County, Hamilton County, Hardeman County, McLennan County and Runnels County.
History: The county was created in 1853 and Hillsboro was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built of elm poles around a dirt floor by C N Brooks in 1853. The second courthouse was built in 1854 at a cost of $200. The third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1874.The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1889 to 1890 at a cost of $83,000.
County Courthouse –
Photos taken 2009, 2014 and 2019
