Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Hardeman County

Hardeman County

Hardeman County is named for Bailey Hardeman and Tomas Jones Hardeman, who were two early Texas politicians and legislators.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Harmon County, Oklahoma and Jackson County, Oklahoma

E – Wilbarger County

S – Foard County

W – Cottle County and Childress County

 

Created:  February 1, 1858                    Map of Texas highlighting Hardeman County

County Seat: 

Margaret  1858 – 1890

Quanah    1890 – present

 

County Courthouse – Quanah 

 

Location:  300 South Main Street / 4th Street

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  R H Stuckey

Contractor:  Tom Lovell & Sons of Denton

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of  Quanah. The building has a raised Indiana limestone basement. The east front has a recessed center section with entrance on the first story and two columns rising to a header and balcony at the top of the second story. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with black colored slate roof. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the first story is divided by two halls paved with a beautiful mosaic tiling. There are pressed metal ceilings. Two stairways ascend to the second story where the large courtroom is located. The ceiling is twenty-two feet high and has opera style seating. The building houses the State District Court and Constitutional County Court. The building was restored in 2014. The architect was Architexas and the contractor was Pheonix I.

 

See:  The contractor, Tom Lovell of Denton, also constructed courthouses in Brazonia CountyBrewster CountyCoryell County,Denton CountyHamilton CountyHill CountyMcLennan County and Runnels County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1858 and Margaret was selected as the county seat in 1884 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in Margaret in 1885. The county seat was moved to Quanah in 1890. The second courthouse was built in 1890. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1907 to 1908 at a cost of $48,500.

 

 

County Courthouse – Quanah  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014