Runnels County is named for Hiram George Runnels, who was the ninth governor of Mississippi and a planter in Texas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Nolan County and Taylor County
E – Coleman County
S – Concho County
W – Tom Green County and Coke County
Created: February 1, 1858 ![]()
County Seat:
Runnels City 1880 – 1888
Ballinger 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Ballinger
Location: 600 Courthouse Square / Hutching Avenue / Broadway
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Eugene T Heiner
Contractor: Lovell & Miller
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story yellow colored stone structure. The building is located on the spacious landscaped Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The northwest front has a three story center section with small stone portico and balcony and two story north and south wings. The windows on the protruding north and south towers are arched. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1941 and the north and south wings added. The architect was Roy E Lane and the contractor was Oscar Rose.
See: The contractor, Tom Lovell of Denton, also constructed courthouses in Brazoria County, Brewster County, Coryell County,Denton County, Hamilton County, Hardeman County, Hill County and McLennan County.
See: The 7th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in San Angelo in Tom Green County.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Runnels City in 1880. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $29,015.
County Courthouse – Ballinger
Photos taken 2006 and 2014
