Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » San Augustine County

San Augustine County

San Augustine County is named for Augustine of Hippo, who was the Bishop of Hippo Reguis and a Berber philosopher and theologian.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Shelby County

E – Sabine County

S – Jasper County

W – Angelina County and Nacogdoches County

 

Created:  March 17, 1836                       Map of Texas highlighting San Augustine County

County Seat: 

San Augustine  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – San Augustine  

 

Location:  110 South Harrison Street / North Broadway

Built:  1926 – 1927

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Shirley Simons

Contractor:  Campbell & White of Cooper

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story Texas Lueders stone and concrete  structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of San Augustine. The north front has a center section with three large vertical windows with the entrance on the ground level. Above is a stone parapet along the roof line. There are green colored tiles on the roof. On the south side, a center wing extends south. The building was renovated in 2010. The architect is Scott & Strong and the contractor is J E Kingman Construction Company. On the east side is the old red colored brick Jail built in 1911.

 

History: The county was created in 1836 as one of the original 23 counties and San Augustine was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1840 and the second courthouse was built in 1855. The third courthouse was constructed by I Hollis in 1891. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1926 to 1927.

 

 

County Courthouse – San Augustine

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

James Pinckney Henderson statue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Construction 2010

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – San Augustine

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010 and 2017