Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Connecticut » New London County

New London County

 

New London County is named after London in England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hartford County, Tolland County and Windham County

E – Kent County, Rhode Island and Washington County, Rhode Island

S – Atlantic Ocean

W – Middlesex County

 

Created:  May 10, 1666                          Map of Connecticut highlighting New London County

County Seat: 

Norwich          1666 – present

New London   1666 – present

 

Old Courthouse – New London

 

Location:  70 Huntington Street / State Street

Built:  1783 – 1784

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  Finch of Lebanon

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story structure. In 1839 the building was moved back and an addition was added at the rear. The architect was Dudley St. Clair Donnlley. A modern addition was added in 1982. The architect was Hirsch and Persch.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the oldest serving courthouse in Connecticut.

 

Courthouse – New London

 

 

Location:  70 Huntington Street / State Street

Built:  1983 – 1985

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hirsch and Persch

Contractor:  J S Nesbit Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff and black colored stone, concrete and glass structure. The buiilding is located north of the old courthouse. The south front has central entrance with three columns with recessed glass paneled entrance.  The first story has black colored brick. The second story is at ground level on the north and east sides with the third story rising  to a flat roof line. The windows are small.  

 

Courthouse – New London

 

 

Location:  112 Broad Street / Brainard Street

Built:  1889 – 1891

Style:  Richardson Romanesque

Architect:  Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick  structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building was converted to a courthouse in 1972. The building was renovated in 2011. The architect was Tecton Architects, Inc. of Hartford and the contractor was Sarazin General Contractors.

 

Note:  The building was constructed as The William Memorial Institute as a high school for girls. The State purchased the building in 1997.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

Norwich

 

 

Old Courthouse – New London

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Courthouse – New London

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Courthouse – New London

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2017