Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Connecticut » New London County » New London County – Norwich

New London County – Norwich

Old Courthouse – Norwich

 

Location:  100 Broadway / Union Street

Built:  1870 – 1873

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Burdich & Arnold

Contractor:  Joseph A Smith and Gilbert L Congdon

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and wood structure. The south front has a large white colored porch on the first story with recessed entrance.  The windows are arched, The third story has small arched windows below a curved roof line. On the east side is a clock tower with octagonal cupola with steep roof. The mansard roof has dormer windows.  A wing was added to the rear in 1909. The architect was Charles H Preston.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1762. During construction of the present courthouse, Joseph A Smith completed the masonry and Gilbert L Congdon completed the woodwork. The project was supervised by Evan Burdick.

 

Courthouse – Norwich

 

 

Location:  152 Main Street / Courthouse Square

Built:  1981 – 1983

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Richard Sharpe Associates

Contractor:  F W Brown Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front is semi circular with concrete pillars on the first story and recessed porch with central entrance. The second story has a large central circular window The roof line is flat. 

 

 

See:  The New London County courthouse is located in New London.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2017