Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Florida » Levy County

Levy County

Levy County is named for David Levy Yulee, who was a United States Senator from Florida.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Gilchrist County and Alachua County

E – Marion County

S – Citrus County and Gulf of Mexico

W – Gulf of Mexico and Dixie County

 

Created:  March 10, 1845                       Map of Florida highlighting Levy County

County Seat:

Mount Pleasant        1845 – 1858

Levyville                   1858 – 1870

Bronson                   1870 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bronson

 

Location:  335 South Court Street / Gardner Street

Built:  1937 – 1938

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  Henry L Taylor

Contractor:  O R Woodcock

 

Description: The building is comprised of two red colored brick and concrete two story structures joined by a one story section. The buildings face southwest.and are located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Bronson. The west section is a rectangular two story building with a small white colored cupola with weather vane on the hipped roof. This section is the judicial wing. In the interior is an entrance lobby with the main County Circuit Court courtroom off the northeast side. There is another courtroom on the northwest side of the building. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 8th Judicial Circuit and County Court. On the southeast side is a one story building connecting to the large rectangular two story building on the southeast side. In the interior is the Hall of Honor on the southwest side rising two stories. This building houses the administration. 

 

Note:  The second courthouse was moved to Chiefland in 1870 and is the Masonic Lodge #51 located at NE 1st Street and E Park Street. The old County Jail is located  at 23 SE 2nd Avenue near the Chamber of Commerce.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial Circuit includes Alachua CountyBaker County, Bradford CountyGilchrist County and Union County.

 

See:  The county is located in the First Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – First Judicial District located in Tallahassee.

 

History:  The county was created in 1845 and Mount Pleasant was designated as the county seat. The first court met at the home of Mary V Andrew in Mount Pleasant (Sodom) in 1845. The first meetings of county government took place in a house rented from P H Davis. In 1851, the house of Elijah Hunter was rented for one dollar, and then the house of Moses Cason was purchased the following year for $175 as the first courthouse. In 1858, the county seat was moved to Levyville and the second courthouse was a two story structure built by James M Janney in 1861 at a cost of $1,861. The courthouse was completed by L B Lewis in 1867 due to the Civil War. The county seat was moved to Bronson in 1870. The third courthouse was built by W A Jones in 1874 at a cost of $2,200. In 1906, the fourth courthouse was designed by Montgomery Architects and constructed by Wagener & Dobson. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1937 to 1938 at a cost of $58,717.

 

 

County Courthouse – Bronson

 

 

Judicial Wing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Administrative Wing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009 and 2023