Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Georgia » Bartow County

Bartow County

Bartow County is named for Francis Bartow, who was a Colonel during the First Battle of Manassas ( Bull Run ).

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Gordon County 

E – Cherokee County 

S – Cobb CountyPaulding County and Polk County

W – Floyd County

 

Created:  December 3, 1832                  Map of Georgia highlighting Bartow County

County Seat: 

Cassville      1832 – 1867

Cartersville  1867 – present

 

County Courthouse – Cartersville

 

Location:  135 West Cherokee Avenue / North Erwin Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Kenneth McDonald & Company and James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta

Contractor:  Fred Wagner

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cartersville. The southeast front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with clock and gold colored roof at the top. The large courtroom is located on the second story.

 

See:  The architect, James Wingfield Golucke of Atlanta designed many courthouses and jails in Georgia.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Bartow County Courthouse

 

County Judicial Center – Cartersville

 

 

Location:  West Cherokee Avenue / North Erwin Street

Built:  1991 – 1992

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Brackett Associates

Contractor:  Womack Construction Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cartersville  to the west of the old courthouse. The building forms an “L” shape with the east section having a long porch on the first story supported by pillars. The roof line is flat. At the west end of this section is the main entrance which projects from the main building rises to a peak above the roof line. Adjoining on the west side is a rectangular section which extends south and has a flat roof line. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court and County Probate Court of the 7th Judicial District.

 

See:  The 7th Judicial District includes Catoosa CountyChattooga CountyCobb CountyDade CountyDouglas CountyFloyd CountyGordon CountyHaralson CountyMurray CountyPaulding County, Polk CountyWalker County and Whitfield County 

 

Old County Courthouse – Cartersville

 

 

Location:  3 East Church Street / North Museum Drive

Built:  1869

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located in the center of Cartersville and was constructed as the second courthouse. The windows of the rectangular shaped building has arched windows and a hipped roof. The building is now the Bartow History Museum. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Bartow County Courthouse

 

District Militia Courthouse – Euharlee

 

 

Location:  Covered Bridge Road

Built:  1837

Style:  Wood frame

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story wood structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1873. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the southeast of the center of Euharlee. The south front has a porch and roof is hipped. The building was built to serve the local justice of the peace. The courthouse was locally called the “JP courthouse” but formally is the Militia #851 courthouse. The small wood frame calaboose is on the east side.

 

History:  The county was created in 1832 and Cassville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Cassville but was burned in 1864 during the Civil War. The county seat was moved to Cartersville in 1867 and the second courthouse was built in 1869 to 1873 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1903 and is still standing. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 1991 to 1992.

 

 

County Courthouse – Cartersville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former Courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Judicial Center – Cartersville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Country Courthouse – Cartersville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

District Militia Courthouse #851 – Eurharlee

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013, 2018, 2020 and 2024