Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Vermont » Essex County

Essex County

Essex County is named for Essex County in England, United Kingdom.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Quebec, Canada

E – Coos County, New Hampshire

S – Coos County, New Hampshire and Grafton County, New Hampshire

W – Caledonia County and Orleans County

 

Created:  November 5, 1792                                                      Map of Vermont highlighting Essex County

County Seat: 

Guildhall 1789 – present

 

County Courthouse – Guildhall 

 

Location:  75 Court House Drive / Highway 102

Built:  1850 – 1851

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  S G Babcock

Contractor:  S G Babcock

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story building is a white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscvaped grounds in the center of Guildhall facing south onto the commons. The rectangular building has a recessed central entrance on the south front. On the roof is a large square white colored wood cupola rising to a small cupola at the top with dome. On the west side is a one story porch with entrance. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located in the building. To the west is the Old Jailer House.

 

Old County Courthouse – Guildhall 

 

 

Location:  91 Court House Drive / Highway 102

Built:  1802 – 1803

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Eben Judd

Contractor:  Eben Judd

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Guildhall on the east side of the courthouse and facing south onto the commons. The rectangular building a central entrance on the south front. The roof is hipped. In the interior is the County Superior Court courtroom. The present courthouse is located along the west side. The building was moved downhill to its present location and rebuilt in 1831..

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Guildhall Historic District

 

History:  The county was created in 1792 with the county seats being Luneburg and Brunswick. The court first met in Lunenburg in 1800 and in Brunswick in 1801. The county seat was designated as Guildhall in 1801 and the first courthouse was erected in 1802 to 1803 on the hill behind the common. The building was moved to the common in 1831 and is still standing. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1850 to 1851.

 

 

United Church / County Courthouse / Old Courthouse – Guildhall

 

 

United Church / Courthouse – Guildhall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

United Church / County Courthouse / Old County Courthouse – Guildhall

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Guildhall

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Jailer House – Guildhall

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014