Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Vermont » Orleans County

Orleans County

Orleans County is named for the city of Orleans in France.

 

Surrounding County and Canada Courthouses: 

N – Quebec, Canada

E – Essex County

S – Caledonia County and Lemoille County

W – Franklin County

 

Created:  November 5, 1792                                                      Map of Vermont highlighting Orleans County

County Seat:

Craftsbury   1800 – 1812

Browington  1800 – 1812

Irasburg       1812 – 1886

Newport       1886 – present

 

County Courthouse – Newport 

 

Location:  217 Main Street / 2nd Street

Built:  1885 – 1886

Style:  Romanesque and Queen Anne Revival

Architect:  Lambert Packard

Contractor:  Matthew J Culbeck of St. Johnsbury

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Newport. The north front of the rectangular building has a projecting center section with large arched entrance on the first story. The center section rises to a pediment at the roof line with window and rising with a square base to a clock tower. The clock tower has arched windows with smaller section at the clop with the clock and steep roof. The foundation is rough cut granite and granite is used for the window sills and lintels. In the interior is the County Superior Court courtroom. The building houses the County Superior Court.

 

Note:  On the south side of the courthouse are the old 1886 Jail designed by Lambert Packard and the 1903 Jail built by Pauly Jail Company of St. Louis, Missouri.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Orleans County Courthouse and Jail Complex

 

History:  The county was created in 1792 and Craftsbury was selected as the county seat. The first county meeting was held at the residence of Dr. Samuel Huntington at Greensboro. The first courts met in Craftsbury and Brownington from 1800 to 1816. In 1812, the county seat was moved to Irasburg and the first courthouse was erected in 1815 and moved in 1847. The second courthouse was built in 1847 and burned in 1910. In 1886, the county seat was moved to Newport and the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1885 to 1886.

 

 

County Courthouse – Newport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014