Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Bedford County

Bedford County

Bedford County is named for John Russell, who was the 4th Duke of Bedford.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Botetourt CountyRockbridge County and Amherst County

E – Lynchburg and Campbell County

S – Pittsylvania County

W – Franklin County

 

Created:  February 27, 1752                  Map of Virginia highlighting Bedford County

County Seat: 

New London  1753 – 1782

Bedford          1782 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bedford

 

Location:  123 East Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1929 – 1930

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  C H Hinnant

Contractor:  Fred O Fuqua

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete Classical Revival style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bedford. The south front has a large portico with six Corinthian columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The massive triangular pediment has a unique design incorporating symbols of the local crops of corn and tobacco and the official crest of the fourth Duke of Bedford, John Russell. The center section of the building projects from the main building. On the roof is a high square clock tower with clock and open belfry at the top. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 24th Judicial Circuit. The building was renovated in 1997 to 1998. The architect was Fauber Architects and the contractor was Blair Construction. The bell tower was renovated in 2014. The architect was Dominion 7 Architects and the contractor was Jamison-Lewis Construction.

 

History:  The county was created in 1752 and New London was selected as the county seat in 1753. The court met at the home of Matthew Talbot near Forest in 1754 and the first courthouse was erected by William Calloway later in the year in New London. The second courthouse was built in 1766. In 1782, New London was in Campbell County when it was created so the county seat was moved to Bedford in 1782. The third courthouse, a log structure was built in Bedford in 1782. The fourth courthouse was a brick structure built in 1789. The fifth courthouse was built in 1833 to 1834. The sixth and present courthouse was built in 1929 to 1930.

 

County Administration Building – Bedford

 

 

Location:  122 East Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1990 – 1991

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fauber Architects of Forest

Contractor:  John W Daniels from Danville

 

Description:  The building faces north is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Bedord south across from the courthouse. The central section of the north front has a projecting center section with a recessed center section with glass panels. and pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat.

 

See:  The 24th Judicial Circuit includes Amherst CountyCampbell County, Lynchburg and Nelson County.

 

 

County Courthouse – Bedford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration Building – Bedford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013