Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Henrico County

Henrico County

Henrico County is named for Henricus, a community founded in 1611 by Sir Thomas Dale and which community was named after Henry Frederick Prince of Wales, the eldest son of James I of England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hanover County and New Kent County

E – Charles City County

S – Chesterfield County and Richmond

W – Powhatan County and Goochland County

 

Created:  1634                                        Map of Virginia highlighting Henrico County

County Seat: 

Varnia         1635 – 1752

Richmond  1752 – 1974

Laurel        1974 – present

 

County Courthouse – Laurel

 

Location:  4301 East Parham Road / Hungary Spring Road

Built:  1972 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Vincent G. Kling and Partners of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Carneal & Johnston of Richmond

Contractor:  J W Enochs

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has large arches on the first story with recessed entrances. The second story has white colored concrete forming arches with recessed windows. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the Administration Building on the east side and is named as the Courts Building.

 

Note:  The county is one of the original 8 shires in 1634, being Henrico Shire which included Richmond.

 

County Administration – Laurel

 

 

Location:  4301 East Parham Road / Hungary Spring Road

Built:  1975 – 1977

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Vincent G. Kling and Partners of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Carneal & Johnston of Richmond

Contractor:  John W Daniel and Sons ( later known as Daniel Construction )

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The first story has recessed sections and the second and third stories has projecting dividers between the windows. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the Courts Building on the west side.

 

Old County Courthouse – Richmond

 

 

Location:  2125 East Main Street / 22nd Street

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Carl Ruehrmund

Contractor:  William Trexler and Richard E Elmore

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The southeast corner has a large square tower rising to a steep green colored roof with dormers. On the northeast corner is a smaller square tower. The front has a large arch with recessed entrance. The base of the building is course stone. There is red colored brick addition along the west side. The building is unoccupied.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1894. The City of Richmond expanded and the 1896 courthouse was declared as a part of Henrico County within Richmond until the county seat moved to Laurel. The 1896 courthouse was then sold.

 

 

 

County Courthouse – 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Richmond

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013