Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » New Kent County

New Kent County

New Kent County is named for Kent County in England, United Kingdom.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – King William County and King and Queen County

E – James City County

S – Charles City County and Henrico County

W – Hanover County

 

Created:  November 20, 1654                Map of Virginia highlighting New Kent County

County Seat: 

New Kent   1654 – present

 

County Courthouse – New Kent   

 

Location:  12001 Courthouse Circle / New Kent Highway

Built:  1990 – 1992

Style:  Modern Greek Revival

Architect:  MMM Design Group

Contractor:  Henderson, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Kent.  The north front has a wide porch with four white colored columns rising to the extended roof. The central entrance is trimmed with white colored wood. The rectangular building has one story east and west wings. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 9th Judicial Circuit.

 

Old County Courthouse (Administration) – New Kent   

 

 

Location:  12007 Courthouse Circle / New Kent Highway

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company

Contractor:  B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Kent on the north side of the courthouse. The north front has a one story porch with four white colored columns. Behind the porch is a two story square brick tower with steep roof. The building extends east and has a hipped roof. The building houses the County Administration. Next to the building is the old red colored brick County Jail.

 

See:  The 9th Judicial Circuit includes Charles City County, Gloucester County, James City CountyKing and Queen CountyKing William County, Mathews County, Middlesex CountyPoquoson, Williamsburg and York County

 

History:  The county was created in 1654 and Brick House was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected. In 1691, the county seat was moved to New Kent. The second courthouse built and was burned in 1787. The third courthouse was built and burned in 1864. The fourth courthouse was built. The fifth courthouse was built in 2909 to 1910 and is still standing. The sixth courthouse was constructed in 1990 to 1992.

 

 

County Courthouse – New Kent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – New Kent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – New Kent

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013