Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » York County

York County

York County is named for the City of York in Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Gloucester County and Mathews County 

E – Poquoson and Hampton

S – Newport News and James City County

W – James City County

 

Created:  1634                                        Map of Virginia highlighting York County

County Seat: 

Yorktown  1634 – present

 

County Courthouse – Yorktown  

 

Location:  300 Ballard Street / Church Street

Built:  1995 – 1997

Style:  Modern Colonial Revival

Architect:  HLM Design of Washington DC and Caro, Monroe & Liang PC of Newport News

Contractor:  W M Jordan Company, Inc. of Newport News.

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The northeast front has an octagonal red colored brick portico with large arches. Behind the portico is an octagonal section rising above the roof line with high white colored cupola with green colored dome. The main section of the building runs east and west.

 

Note:  The county is one of the original 8 shires in 1634, being Charles River Shire .

 

Note:  The county is one of the original 8 shires in 1634.

 

Old County Courthouse – Yorktown  

 

 

Location:  301 Main Street / Ballard Street

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern Colonial Revival

Architect:  Clarence Forrer

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building face south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has three arches at the entrances. The east and west corner sections project. The roof is hipped with dormers. At the top of the roof is a narrow white colored cupola with gray colored dome. The building is known as “York Hall”.

 

See:  The 9th Judicial Circuit includes Charles City County, Gloucester County, James City CountyKing and Queen CountyKing William County, Mathews County, Middlesex County, New Kent CountyPoquoson and Williamsburg 

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1697. The second courthouse was built in 1733. The third courthouse was built by John Haviland in 1840. The fourth courthouse was built in 1875. The fifth courthouse constructed in 1955 resembles the design of the second courthouse.

 

 

County Courthouse – Yorktown  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013