Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Washington » Snohomish County

Snohomish County

 

 

Snohomish County is named for the Snohomish Native American tribe, referred to as the “lowland people”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Skagit County 

E – Chelan County

S – King County

W – Kitsap County and Island County

 

Created:  January 14, 1861                    Map of Washington highlighting Snohomish County

County Seat: 

Mukilteo       1861

Snohomish   1861 – 1897

Everett         1861 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Everett  

 

Location:  3000 Rockerfeller Avenue / Wall Street

Built:  1910

Style:  Spanish Mission

Architect:  August F Heide of Siebrand & Heide in Seattle

Contractor:  Olson & Mellen

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a two story stucco, concrete and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds.in the city center of Everett on the south side of the courthouse. The building retains three arches from the previous courthouse that burned. On the west center rises a high clock tower. There are arched windows along the second story. The interior has a first story stairhall with black and white marble borders, baseboards, pilasters and stairway. The old courthouse burned on August 2, 1909, and in the ensuing destruction the annex was all that could be saved.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Snohomish County Courthouse

 

Note:  On February 1, 1898, a three story brick and stone Chateauesque style courthouse was completed. In 1908, a two story brick annex was constructed on the north end of the courthouse. Sparks from a fire which originated in a carriage and wheel factory directly across from the site on Wetmore Avenue spread to the courthouse roof on August 2, 1909, and in the ensuing destruction the annex was all that could be saved. County government functioned in the annex until a new building was erected upon the foundations of the old courthouse. August F Heide of Siebrand & Heide who had designed the old courthouse was hired as architect for the building of the present courthouse.

 

County Courthouse – Everett  

 

County Courthouse before tower constructed

 

County Courthouse after tower constructed

 

Location: 3000 Rockerfeller Avenue / Wall Street

Built:  1965 – 1967

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Harmon-Pray-Detrich

Contractor:  John H Sellen Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a five story concrete and glass rectangular structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Everett. The building has a portico on the north entrance. The building houses the County Superior Court and the County District Court of the Everett Division. A five story glass and concrete tower was constructed from 2018 to 2020 on the northeast side of the building and the courthouse was renovated. The architect was CBRE Heery International of Atlanta and Hoffman Construction Company of Seattle.

 

 

History:  The county was created in 1861 and Mukilteo was designated as the county seat. In 1861, the county seat was moved to Snohomish. The county rented office space and used fraternal halls for court hearings until the first courthouse was constructed in 1862. In 1897, the county seat was moved to Everett. The second courthouse was a three story brick structure constructed in 1897 to 1898. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on August 2, 1909. The third courthouse was constructed in 1910 to 1911 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1965 to 1967. The building was renovated and an entrance tower constructed in 2018 to 2020 at a cost of $74,800,000.

 

Other District Courthouses

 

Cascade Division – Arlington

Evergreen Division – Monroe

South Division – Lynnwood

 

 

County Campus Map

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Everett

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Everett

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006, 2009, 2012, 2016 and 2022