Coleman County is named for Robert M. Coleman, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and a soldier at the Battle of San Jacinto.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Taylor County and Callahan County
E – Brown County
S – McCulloch County
W – Concho County and Runnels County
Created: February 1, 1858 ![]()
County Seat:
Camp Colorado 1864 – 1876
Coleman 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Coleman
Location: 100 West Liveoak Street / Commercial Avenue
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Moderne
Architect: William W Dudley
Contractor: Smith & Butler
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Coleman. The south front has a center section which rises above the east and west wings. The entrance is framed with a high square arch of stone. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The large County District Court courtroom is located at the center of the second story. The building houses the County District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice of the Peace. In 1951 and 1952, the original stone building was remodeled to the present brick style. The architect was Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth and the contractor was Quille Construction Company. On the north side of the building is the old stone County Jail.
See: The 7th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in San Angelo in Tom Green County.
History: The county was created in 1858 and Camp Colorado was selected as the county seat in 1864 when the county was organized. The county seat was moved to Coleman in 1876. The county used rented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1883 to 1884.
County Courthouse – Coleman
County District Court courtroom
Bell and Cornerstone 1884 County Courthouse
Picture Old 1884 County Courthouse and Jail
Old County Jail – Coleman
Photos taken 2006 and 2014
Images 15*
