Gilliam County is named for Cornelius Gilliam, who was a pioneer and who commanded the forces of the Provisional Government of Oregon after the Whitman Massacre.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Klickitat County, Washington
E – Morrow County
S – Wheeler County
W – Wasco County and Sherman County
![]()
Created: February 25, 1885
County Seat:
Arlington 1885 – 1890
Condon 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Condon
Location: 221 South Oregon Street / West Gilliam Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Style: Modern
Architect: Morrison and Howard and Wesley Korman
Contractor: McCormack Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Condon. The south section projects from the main building and has horizontal windows on the two stories. The north section has glass panels on the exterior. The center section is a recessed porch with the main entrance. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit of the 7th Judicial District, County Court and County Justice Court.
See: The 7th Judicial District includes Hood River County, Sherman County, Wasco County and Wheeler County.
History: The county was created in 1885 and Arlington ( Alkali ) was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Condon in 1890. The county used a two story house. The first courthouse was designed by Charles H Burggraf of Salem and constructed by A F Peterson in 1903. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1953 and the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1955.
County Courthouse – Condon
Photos taken 2012
Images 6
