Tom Green County is named for Tom Green, who was a Confederate brigadier general in the Civil War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Coke County and Runnels County
E – Runnels County and Concho County
S – Scheicher County
W – Irion County and Sterling County
Created: March 13, 1874 ![]()
County Seat:
Ben Ficklin 1874 – 1884
San Angelo 1884 – present
County Courthouse – San Angelo
Location: 112 West Beauregard Avenue / South Irving Street
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Anton F Korn
Contractor: F O B Montgomery
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark buff colored brick and limestone structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. On the south and north sides, the building has large Doric columns dividing the windows. The symmetrical façade is temple-like. A wide stone header runs below the roof line. The entrance has three doorways in the center section. There are original pressed metal ceilings in the courtrooms located on the south side of the second story. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and County Probate Court of the 17th Administrative Judicial Region. The building was renovated in 1983. The architect was Donald R Goss and the contractor was John D Buck Construction Company.
See: The 7th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in San Angelo Worth in Tom Green County
See: The 7th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in San Angelo Worth in Tom Green County.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Ficklin in 1876. The second courthouse was a two story stone structure built in Ficklin in 1882. When the county seat was moved to San Angelo, the third courthouse was designed by W W Larmour and constructed by John C Lillis in 1885. Plans for the courthouse were originally submitted by contractor J H Walker and when Larmour learned that Walker was using his plans, he sued the contractor, but by that time, the county had fired Walker and replaced him with John C Lillis. The construction superintendent was Oscar Ruffini.
County Justice Center – San Angelo
Location: 122 West Harris Avenue / North Irving Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Style: Modern
Architect: Chakos Zentner Marcum Architects of San Angelo and Burns Fletcher Gill Architects of Fort Worth
Contractor: Templeton Construction Company of San Angelo
Description: The building faces south and is a two story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a central entrance with two high double columns and two short double columns with recessed glass walls. On the east side of the front is a large pillar with recessed section. The roof line is flat. The building has two courtrooms.
County Administration Building – San Angelo
Location: 113 West Beauregard Avenue / South Irving Street
Built: 1980 – 1981
Style: Modern
Architect: Donald R Goss
Contractor: Templeton Construction Company of San Angelo
Description: The building faces north and is a three story cream colored concrete structure. The north front has an overhang with recessed first story and central entrance. The roof line is flat and was originally a Sears store.. The building is named as the Judge Edd B Keyes Building.
County Courthouse – San Angelo
County Justice Center – San Angelo
County Administration Building – San Angelo
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019
